May 29, 2008
While cleaning this weekend I found two packs of 500 Polaroid for my Joycam. Hooray! Except that it expired in 2005. I decided to try it out anyway and this what I got...so it's not good anymore (big surprise), but I think I'll keep using it. Might as well enjoy my last few pulls - the anticipation is still there and I may get something cool, you never know. That's the beauty of Polaroid.
May 27, 2008
We bought the Gulliver crib from Ikea - it's only $99 and after an exhaustive search on craigslist for weeks we decided to just buy a new one. There's not much you can get for less than that anyway. It's simple, white and a nice contrast with the antique furniture we have in there. I'm so excited to get this room more put together and will share more photos as I make progress.
On a more thoughtful note, this was Memorial Day Weekend and in between my rejoicing that Forest had a day off and that I could go a whole day without checking my email, I found myself really feeling guilty that we did not spend more time remembering the reason we have this day off in the the first place. It's a rather somber day especially since we are currently in a war..in a war- sometimes I find myself being so far removed from that reality. I found myself about to say "Happy Memorial Day!" a few times and realized how ridiculous that is - it's not so much a day we should be celebrating with beer and beach towels. I am not the greatest at expressing my thoughts in words, but I just wanted to share that here. That I desire to be more conscious of what's going on around me and to not take the comfortable and safe life we have here for granted. I am going to work on that this year.
I am so thankful that we have a house to decorate, fulfilling jobs, and a happy, healthy baby boy. Going into this week with those thoughts is very refreshing. Hope you all are feeling recharged after this long weekend : )
May 23, 2008
It's raining in Ventura today. Weird. Here's Maisy bummin' hard on the guest bed. Normally she's not allowed up there, but it's all she's got to look forward to today so I'm letting her slide. There's a window to her right and keeping an eye on the sidewalk outside our house is her new favorite past time. And she looked cute with that pillow and 101 Dalmatians record.
The guest bed is in what is now B's room - it's kind of half his room half guest room. We're not ready to give up the extra bed yet, but we're moving the decor over to boy's room so when he is at the age to need a place to play he has his own space. We hung the records above the bed and I'm working on getting the rest of the room done this month. We're getting his crib this weekend too, as he's *sniff, sigh* almost too big for his bassinet. He did not listen when I told him to stay tiny. 13 lbs. as of last week!
Hope you all enjoy the long weekend. I'm looking forward to working on the house, sewing and hanging out with friends.
May 19, 2008
Today I'm working through my very very long To Do list. It's hard when the weather is so nice, but a girl's gotta work. Hope your week is off to a good start. Check back in with you tomorrow : )
May 16, 2008
So I give you this super quick and not very good illustration to hopefully help it make more sense.
After you cut out your pieces, places them right-sides together and trim off a bit of each corner (called a bow) as shown starting from about 1/2 in. in from the corner tapering off to nothing at 2 in. (as shown).
When you sew your seams follow this new edge. The bow makes up for the dip (like rabbit ears) that you would see in the filled pillow if cut straight across (thank you upholster.com for that explanation. I was having trouble finding the words). When you turn your pillow and insert the pillow form you'll have a truer rectangle shape.
Hope this helps. For full instructions with photos on upholster.com click here. They also have instructions for installing zippers. I don't think you want me to try and explain that one : )
Happy Friday! I'm hoping to finish my other pillows this weekend and will post next week.
May 15, 2008
A trick my mom showed me is to round the corners slightly before you sew the two sides together so that when you insert the pillow form they don't bow out. I'm thrilled with how these turned out and am never buying pillows again! I have the fabric for my throw pillows, just need to pre-wash it and buy more zippers. Yay!
May 13, 2008
Forest caught an early flight home from NY to take care of the baby since his mom was now sick and I would be shooting all Friday and Saturday.
Baker stopped throwing up Friday which was good, and which also made me certain it was a reaction to the antibiotics I was on. Everything seemed to be better and since I had a large storage of pumped milk I was not worried about him anymore. Then Saturday morning came...
I woke up with an upset stomach. Two hours before I needed to leave for a very long day. Wow, what else could go wrong this week. I feel like I've had a very mellow first three months of motherhood and this week was like a big "catch up" dose of all that is hard about being a mom.
The wedding went wonderfully and I will post a few photos very soon. We weren't done yet though and on Sunday (Mother's Day) Forest woke up not feeling well as did his sister and he spent the day in bed. We had planned to go home that day, but Forest needed a day to sleep. I don't know what was going around in that house, but whatever it was it made me want to come home and wash EVERYTHING anyone might have touched. And I did. Viruses are so nasty.
Baker seems to be doing better, but I have to feed him in very small doses or his stomach does not take the food well. My doctor asked me to feed him again to see if it really was the antibiotics. So scary! To know that you might potentially make your kid sick again - I did NOT want to do that. We've pretty much determined that he had a bug since everyone in the house had a day of the similar symptoms. Yikes...but glad It wasn't me that was making him sick. Talk about mommy guilt.
Sorry for all the gory details, but I just needed to get that out there. After lots of tears and questioning my skills and judgment as a mom, things are on the mend. Hope all you mothers who are reading this had a better day than we did. Here's to next year!
May 8, 2008
First, I got sick and tried to kick it with natural methods (rest, Echinacea, Advil), but that didn't work. So I went and got antibiotics since I have a wedding this weekend and need to be at 100% for that.
Then, B started throwing up this morning around 4am and hasn't stopped. Maybe a reaction to the antibiotics, I don't know, but he didn't even keep down the frozen milk I had. It breaks my heart to watch him be sick - poor little guy.
To top it all off Forest is at a conference on the East Coast so I am missing him through all of this : ( Thankfully I am down at his family's house and they are giving me lots of help.
On a happy note, B rolled over all the way for the first time on Tuesday, yay! Everything pretty much went downhill after that.
Hope to be back next week with a healthy body and baby, and maybe some wedding pics from this weekend.
5/9 UPDATE: Forest's mom is now feeling sick with the flu! Lord help us. Thankfully Forest caught and early flight home and will be here in a few hours.
May 3, 2008
Adele at dace just emailed me and let me know they are having a spring sale and offering 20% off everything even sale items. Thought I'd pass it along to all of you - do some spring cleaning in your closet and add some new items to fill in those holes!
Enter SPRING at checkout to receive the discount.
May 2, 2008
* link to the person that tagged you
* post the rules on your blog
* share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself
* tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs
* let each random person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog
1. I looove drinking straws. In the midst of labor I was very concerned that Forest remembered the straws as we were heading to the birthing center. Heaven forbid I would have to drink my electrolytes straight from a cup. I actually don't like rims of glasses and to be honest, they kind of creep me out.
2. I have anxiety dreams a lot. I'm shooting a wedding next weekend and last night I dreamt that a) I didn't show up at the rehearsal, b) I forgot to rent equip. for my 2nd shooter, c) I didn't give her directions or tell her what time to arrive, and d) I wore jeans and the church lady at the catholic church wouldn't let me in to the ceremony. (Valerie, if you're reading this, DON'T WORRY! None of this will actually happen, but see how much I care about doing a good job? See you Friday!)
3. I have a habit of building a shoe pile outside my closet every week. They start out all stacked nicely on the racks, but after 7 days of figuring out what to wear it is chaos. This is because my shoe racks are behind my hanging clothes and it's just too much work to put them back. If you're looking at houses to buy or rent never believe yourself when the voice inside says having small closets will be no big deal. It will be a big deal and no matter how nice your pool is or how big your kitchen is you'll wish you had more closet space.
4. I like wearing makeup, but hate putting it on.
5. Hip hop/rap is my favorite genre of music. I love Tupac AND Biggie.
6. I'm very self conscious about my legs and do not own a pair of shorts. I've tried multiple times to purchase them, but once I get into the dressing room it's all over. I barely even wear skirts or dresses unless its to a fancy event and I have 4 inch heels on.
I'm not tagging anyone ( I know, what a party pooper), but there you go! Happy Friday to all.