What you need:
- construction paper in a neutral color
- coarse glitter.
- heart template. Draw your own or download mine right here. The perfect heart shape is hard to find, so I made my own in Photoshop. There are 8 sizes on the sheet and I used 2, 3 and 4.
What to do:
1. Trace with a pencil and cut out 2 hearts for each topper you want to make.
2. With the pencil side up place the flat end of a skewer on one heart and spread glue all around. Place second heart pencil-side down on top and gently seal the edges of the heart. Try to keep the middle of the heart as flat as possible so you don't get a crease around the skewer.
3. Set aside to dry and make another. Repeat until all your hearts are glued to skewers.
4. When hearts are dry, spread an even coating of glue on one side of each heart and cover completely with a generous dusting of glitter. Make sure you have enough glue so that the glitter will stick, but not too much otherwise it will drip off the side while drying.
5. Shake off excess glitter and set aside to dry. Move on to the next until you have glitter-fied one side of each heart.
6. When all are dry, turn over and glitter the other sides. Set aside to dry.
7. Trim skewers to your desired length as you're arranging the hearts. I used kitchen scissors and they worked fine, but watch out as the ends do tend to go flying.
8. Smile at your pretty, sparkly cake.